Delray Beach Master Plan Week of June 26, 2017
The contractor continues to pour all three color concrete concepts between Casuarina Road and the Sandoway Parking Lot. Folks can now see all three finished color patterns for the new sidewalk with the exposed aggregate concept along with the new showers and water fountains.
Underground utility construction continues in the proximity of Boston's Sand Bar. The contractor has begun removing portions of the construction fence along South Ocean Boulevard, opening parallel parking areas where the sidewalk has been installed for a short period of time; starting at Casuarina and heading north.
The general contractor removed the existing sidewalk, so it is very important that folks accessing the beach only use the identified access points, which provide safe entry. These safe entry points are currently located near South Lifeguard Tower No. 5, the Sandoway Parking Lot, and Boston's Sand Bar.
Due to limited parking at the beach, a third Downtown Roundabout trolley between the parking garages and the beach is available. A map of the new route is accessible on the City's website at www.mydelraybeach.com or by clicking here.
Beach Promenade benches, plaques and stone memorials have been removed and safely stored. Any donor of the same should contact Isaac Kovner at 561-243-7000, ext. 4119, to discuss options for future location.
- In order to provide continual public safety for the residents and guests attending the beachfront, beginning July 5, 2017 the work-zone area between the Sandoway Parking Lot north to the Marriott Hotel will be closed to all pedestrian traffic. Beach access will be available at both the Sandoway Parking Lot as well as by the Marriott Hotel designated cross walks.
- On street parking between the Sandoway Parking Lot north to the Marriott Hotel, including the ADA parking spaces by the main pavilion, will not be accessible for approximately two months during construction.
- All benches, plaques, memorials, and street signs will be collected and properly stored by the City of Delray Beach beginning July 5, 2017.
- The City will begin installing smart parking meters between Casuarina Road and the Sandoway Parking Lot beginning the week of July 10, 2017. If you have any questions concerning the use of the smart meters when parallel parking please contact Jorge Alarcon, Chief Parking Administrator at 561-243-700, ext. 4112.
- The Contractor anticipates, in the near future, two to three days of early construction times to accommodate the traffic at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and South Ocean Boulevard. The City, along with the Florida Department of Transportation, will be notified in advance of the proposed early construction days and times.
- Underground piping and backfilling for the new showers and fountains between the Sandoway Parking Lot and Boston's Sand Bar continues.
- The pouring of all three concrete colors for the sidewalk continues.
- The City & Contractor are planning for the July 4th holiday to allow pedestrians full access to the beachfront through open and protected walkways.
As construction continues on the Promenade, certain on-street parking spaces along the beach will remain unavailable. However, we will make every effort to make parking alternatives accessible whenever possible. Parking in all public parking lots along the beach, including the Sandoway Parking Lot, will continue to be available. For those who choose to park in public parking garages, a third trolley has been added with a new route featuring stops at the parking garages and additional stops along the beach to accommodate beach-goers.
Bicyclists will be able to use the bicycle lane, but we urge extra caution in this area. The bicycle lane on South Ocean Boulevard will be narrowed with barriers to protect the general public from the construction activities. Due to the need to provide additional safe passage for families accessing the beach near Sandoway Parking Lot, the construction fencing has been moved to block the bicycle lane at this area. Bicyclists and motorists are asked to use special caution in this area.
The contractor has secured the Beach Promenade area on the north end of the Beach to create two safe zones - one for protected sidewalk and beach access for the public and one for protection of the construction site. Directional and informational signage is present. A safe zone for construction also is established on the south end of the Beach. Utility structures, irrigation, electrical and existing trees are protected from construction activities.
Public notifications concerning sidewalk closures are posted. The contractor is working with the public on providing safe entry to the beach through designated areas within the construction zone.
For questions concerning parking during construction, please contact Jorge Alarcon at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4112.
For the trolley service, please contact Xavier Falconi at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4113.
For general questions concerning the construction, please contact Isaac Kovner at (561) 243-7000 ext. 4119.
Stay informed with weekly up-to-date information by visiting our website (www.mydelraybeach.com) and information boards.