City of Delray Beach collecting items for U.S. troops during the holiday season
November 6, 2017 - To support deployed U.S. military members during the holiday season, the City of Delray Beach has partnered once again with "You Are Not Alone" (YANA) and "One Soldier at a Time" for the 10th annual Project Holiday.
The City will be collecting desperately needed items to ship to soldiers unable to come home for the holidays. The community is encouraged to experience the true spirit of the season by contributing to this worthy cause. Donated items will be accepted at various locations in Delray Beach through December 1.
Examples of needed items are: (travel size preferred):
- Thermoguard pads (heating pads)
- Holiday decorations (all faiths)
- Bags of hard, individually wrapped candy and gum (i.e., lifesavers, dollar store hard candy - please no chocolates except for tootsie rolls, tootsie roll pops, charm pops, etc.)
- Snacks that can easily be put in their pockets while on duty (i.e., fruit cups, peanut butter crackers, etc.),
- Dried meats (beef jerky, Slim Jim, pepperoni)
- Boxes of granola bars or similar, individual bags of nuts, dried fruit, trail mix or sunflower seeds
- Boxed and/or individual drink packets (i.e., Crystal Light, Wal-Mart or Target brand, Kool-Aid, hot chocolate, etc.)
- Non-perishable food items
- Foil packed tuna and chicken
- Purell hand sanitizer
- Hand lotion and sun block
- Batteries (i.e., AA or AAA)
- Hygiene products (foot powder, deodorant, toothpaste, baby wipes no bigger than 2½ wide packages)
- Socks (e.g., white or black knee-hi)
- Holiday and encouragement cards
DELRAY BEACH DROP-OFF LOCATIONS:
- Delray Beach City Hall, 100 NW 1st Avenue
- Delray Beach Tennis Center, 201 West Atlantic Avenue
- Delray Beach Community Center, 50 NW 1st Avenue
- Delray Beach Municipal Golf Course, 2200 Highland Avenue
- Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce, 140 NE 1st Street
- Delray Beach Public Library, 100 West Atlantic Avenue
- Church of the Palms Congregational, 1960 North Swinton Avenue
- Cranes Beach House, 82 Gleason Street
Monetary donations to cover postage and to purchase calling cards are also appreciated.
Please mail checks and/or money orders made payable to Project Holiday/One Soldier at a Time to: City of Delray Beach, c/o Delores Rangel, 100 NW 1st Avenue, Delray Beach, FL 33444.
Items will be packed for shipment on Sunday, December 3 at the Delray Beach Community Center, 50 NW 1st Avenue. If you are a City resident of Delray Beach or Boca Raton with a family member serving overseas and would like a package sent and/or would like to volunteer to assist in packing boxes to be shipped, contact Delores Rangel at (561) 243-7010 ext. 1110.
For information on drop-off locations, contact Delores Rangel at (561) 243-7010 ext. 1110 or e-mail at Rangel@mydelraybeach.com. Information on Project Holiday can also be found on the City's website, mydelraybeach.com.
"You Are Not Alone" (YANA) is a local group sponsored by the City of Delray Beach that provides encouragement and emotional support to family members and friends of our soldiers.
"One Soldier at a Time" is a project that supports our deployed military with care packages and words of encouragement.